When the idea of a company holiday party comes up, as a business leader you may get visions of the movie Office Christmas Party in your head – what an HR nightmare! Never fear, there are plenty of ways to celebrate the season as a team – without giving your HR and Executive teams heart palpitations! Company holiday parties are not one-size-fits-all. What type of event or outing speaks to your culture? Whatever it is, make it fun and keep it safe. Here are a few ideas to consider:
To make it fun:
- Host a potluck! This is a great way for everyone to share their favorite holiday dish. Want to spice it up? Turn your potluck into a cook-off challenge!
- Host an outing to a sporting event, theater performance, ice skating rink, or holiday lighting event.
- Embrace the giving spirit of the holidays and volunteer together at a local soup kitchen or shelter. Working together to give back to those less fortunate is a great way to build comradery and a sense of purpose.
- Consider a team lunch instead of dinner. Lunch prices are usually a bit more affordable (and less chance of consuming too much alcohol).
To make it safe (and legal):
We want everyone to have a great time, but certainly do not want to end up on the news the next day or worse yet, in court. Keeping a careful eye on your event from planning to execution is critical. Remember to:
- Remind employees of your company’s social media policy (if you have one).
- Remind employees that whether they are onsite or offsite, they are under the same expectations outlined in your company’s employee handbook (e.g., harassment policy, conduct policy, etc.)
- If you are serving alcohol, have plenty of food and non-alcoholic options available. Cash bars only!
- Offer free taxi or Uber rides to anyone who might have had a few too many drinks.
The holidays are a great time to relax, reflect, celebrate our successes, and look ahead to the coming year. A company party or outing is a great way to accomplish this and can bring your team together away from the day-to-day grind. With the right planning, your employees will have an event to remember – for all the right reasons. Enjoy the season!
Looking for ways to bring your team together? Email us or give us a call at 703-587-5615. We thrive on helping our clients build collaborative teams leading to a happy workforce and healthy bottom line. We would love to do the same for you.